Recipe: Apple Galettes
Galettes are like a combination of a tart and a pie. What a dreamy combination!!! For this recipe, we are using Granny Smith apples to make a sweet, tart and yummy dessert!
This recipe makes 8-10 small galettes and 2 large ones!
2 cups Unsalted Butter
1 cup Water
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
5 cups All-Purpose Flour
4-5 Granny Smith Apples
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Granulated/Cane Sugar
1 tsp. Flour
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1 Large Egg
1 tbs. Water
* Extra 2 tbs. sugar for sprinkling
To make the dough:
1. Cube the butter and place it in the freezer. Measure the water, add the salt and stir. Place water/salt mixture in the freezer. Let everything chill for 10 minutes.
2. Measure all of your flour out on a cutting board. Spread the flour in a rectangle about 1/3 in thick.
3. Scatter the chilled cubed butter over the flour. Cover the butter in a light layer of flour then begin rolling. When the butter starts flattening out into thin strips, use your dough scraper to put your dough back into a rectangle the size you started. Do this 3-4 times.
4. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in your chilled salt/water mixture. Use the dough scraper to fold in the side and mix the water into the flour.
5. Once the dough starts to come together, use a rolling pin to continue making the dough. Roll out a 10" X 14" rectangle. Fold in the sides, rotate one turn (90 degrees) and roll out into a 10" x 14" rectangle again. Do this 4-5 times until the dough is completely formed.
6. Place the rectangle of dough on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for one hour.
7. When the dough is ready you can either cut it in half to make 2 large galettes or divide the dough into 8-10 small equal portions. Roll all the portions into circles or you can use a small individual tart mold to cut out circles. Each small galette should be around 6-7 inches in diameter. Large galettes, 14 inches in diameter. Transfer circles to a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the fridge while you make the filling.
1. You can either peel the skin off of your apples or wash them and keep the skins for a more rustic feel.
2. Core the apples and slice 1/4 in. thick.
3. Put into a large bowl and pour 1-2 tsp. of lemon juice on top. Stir.
4. Add your brown and white sugar along with any optional seasonings.
5. Taste the filling and season to taste.
5. Cover and place in the fridge until your dough is ready.
Preheat the oven to 375
1. Take the dough out and fill the center of each circle with filling, leaving a 1in. border for smaller galettes and a 2 in. border for larger ones.
2. Fold in the sides of the circles to partially cover the fruit.
3. Make the egg wash, using one egg and 1 tsp of water. Mix the egg and water together.
4. Brush the circles with the egg wash. Don't use too much, we don't want it dripping on the baking sheet.
5. Sprinkle each galette with sugar to your liking.
5. Place galettes back in the fridge to cool for 10 mins.
6. After cooling, immediately put the galettes in the oven. Bake for 40-50 mins. until golden brown and juice from the fruit is bubbling. If crust browns before the fruit bubbles place a piece of aluminum foil to keep it from burning.
7. Remove from oven and serve hot or warm! Adding ice cream is always a plus!! YUM!!
*recipe was modified from Tartine Bakery's fruit galette recipe
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published